With its inclusive home care and stay-at-home benefits, the FLTCIP helps enrollees remain at home for as long as possible."


 

Additional Services and Benefits

Additional Services and Benefits

In addition to our choice of inflation options and our comprehensive covered services, the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) offers a number of additional services and benefits to meet your needs, including:

  • Stay-at-home benefit
  • The FLTCIP offers a stay-at-home benefit which can pay benefits for numerous options that support care in a home environment such as care planning visits, home modifications, an emergency medical response system, durable medical equipment, caregiver training, and home safety checks.
  • Alternate plan of care
  • In certain circumstances, our care coordinators can authorize customized benefits for services that are not specifically covered under the FLTCIP. For example, under an alternate plan of care, we will consider a facility that is not normally covered under the FLTCIP if it meets your needs. The flexibility of an alternate plan of care allows the FLTCIP to provide you with benefits for cost-effective care and the services you want and need.
  • Informal caregiver provisions
  • The FLTCIP covers approved care provided at home by informal caregivers such as friends, family members, and other non-licensed caregivers. When informal care is provided by non-family members, it is covered for the benefit period you’ve selected (two years, three years, five years or unlimited). When informal care is provided by family members, it is covered for up to 500 days of care in your lifetime. Informal caregivers cannot have lived with you at the time you became eligible for benefits, but they can live in your home after you become eligible for benefits.
  • Caregiver training
  • With the caregiver training benefit, the FLTCIP pays up to seven times the daily benefit amount (DBA) (with no waiting period) to train a family member or other informal caregiver to care for you.
  • International benefits
  • Because the FLTCIP was designed exclusively for the Federal family, it features international benefits that provide coverage for enrollees who live or may require care outside the United States. When you receive such services, the FLTCIP pays benefits up to 80% of the benefit amounts shown on your Schedule of Benefits.

    If your schedule of benefits shows that you have a two-, three-, or five-year benefit period, 80% of your maximum lifetime benefit (MLB) can be used for covered services you receive outside the United States; the remaining 20% will be available for covered services you receive in the United States.

    If your schedule of benefits shows that you have an unlimited MLB, benefits payable for any covered services you receive outside the United States will be limited to 10 years. For such services, your MLB will be equal to 3,650 days (10 years) x 80% of your daily benefit amount. Your MLB for covered services you receive in the United States will remain unlimited.
  • Bed reservations
  • If you are in an assisted living facility, nursing home or hospice facility and need to leave that facility for any reason (for example, you need to be hospitalized), the bed reservations feature in your coverage will pay up to 100% of the daily benefit amount for up to 60 days per calendar year to hold your space.
  • Respite care
  • This benefit provides you with temporary care if your caregiver (such as a family member) needs to take some time off. Respite care is covered up to 30 times the daily benefit amount per calendar year and there is no waiting period requirement.
  • No war exclusion
  • Unlike coverage under most long term care insurance plans, coverage under the FLTCIP does not have a war exclusion. As a result, benefits may be payable for conditions due to war or acts of war, declared or undeclared, or service in the armed forces or auxiliary units.
  • Third-party review of claims
  • If we deny your appeal of benefits eligibility or of a claims decision, you may request an independent third-party review. A third party, mutually agreed to by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and Long Term Care Partners, will review our evaluation of your medical condition or functional capacity and will provide a final and binding determination within 60 days after we receive your request for appeal.

For a complete list of features and services, see our Benefit Booklet.


Apply today

Apply Today!

Federal family members can apply for coverage anytime—you do not have to wait for the next open season. Premiums are based on your age and the premium rates in effect at the time we receive your application—the younger you are when you apply, the lower your premium will be.

apply now